G-10 Espada, Large, Folding Knife with DLC-coated Blade and Black Handle
At Cold Steel, they have never been afraid to break with convention. For them, function is always paramount. Their knives are made to work; and when it comes to knives, bigger is always better.
That?s why when everyone else in the industry was making the smallest, flimsiest, dainty little knives that they could, Cold Steel released a series of blades that could only be classed as one thing - pocket swords!
Inspired by the classical Navaja knives of Spain, but utterly modern in both appearance and materials, these mega-folders became an immediate sensation!
A design collaboration between celebrated custom knife maker Andrew Demko and Cold Steel President Lynn C. Thompson, the Espada series are a perfect amalgam of Demko?s engineering genius and Thompson's vast knowledge of edged weapons and tools.
Available in two sizes to suit bold and the boldest, these huge high-performance folders are actually surprisingly easy to carry. Expertly designed to fit comfortably in your pocket, you?ll soon forget that you are carrying such a large and impressive blade.
Built to snap into action in a flash thanks to the patented Demko thumb plate, the Espadas can be snagged on your pocket, actually opening the knife as you draw it ? and bringing it in to play in the blink of an eye!
The Espadas' beautiful blades are made from premium American CTS® XHP alloy steel. This USA powdered super steel was chosen for its ability to not only take a super-fine cutting edge, but to hold it for an exceptionally long time.
In order to protect your fingers from this wickedly sharp blade, each Espada is equipped with Cold Steel's patented Tri-Ad® locking mechanism, proven to have amazing shock resistance and strength ? making it almost impossible for the blade to close on your hand. In Cold Steel's notoriously brutal product testing, the XL Espada was not only capable of easily holding 600 lbs (approx. 272 kg) of free hanging weight, but they even used it to support a hanging engine block!
These incredibly popular, world renowned knives are available in two distinct configurations:
- The classic Espada series, which gained even more popularity after its appearance in the movie The Expendables (where it was carried and used by Mickey Rourke) features a rich satin-polished blade, polished G-10 scales and mirror-polished 7075 aluminum bolsters and frames.
- Alternatively, the Espada series is also available in slim-line, tactical blackout edition, with a hard-wearing DLC-coated black blade and your choice of G-10 handle scales in black, O.D. green or brown (Flat Dark Earth.
Carpenter CTS® XHP Alloy Steel
Carpenter American CTS® XHP is a high carbon, high chromium powdered alloy steel with very impressive edge holding abilities. With an extra fine, uniform grain structure, it outperforms its ingot-steel equivalents by a large margin. This high-performance steel has been used in everything from superior custom kitchen cutlery to surgical tools. It can also be polished to a beautiful satin finish, making it an excellent choice for high-end every day carry knives, especially those that require a very fine cutting edge.
- G-10 Espada, Large, Black
- Blade material: U.S. made Carpenter CTS® XHP alloy steel with DLC-coating
- Overall length: approx. 31.1 cm
- Blade length: approx. 14 cm
- Blade thickness: approx. 4 mm
- Handle: approx. 17.1 cm long, G-10
- With stainless steel pocket/belt clip
- Weight: approx. 247 g
- Cold Steel Product No.: 62NGCL
- G-10 Espada, Large, Flat Dark Earth: Product No. CST-62NGLVF